Department of State: Division of Professional Regulation: Board of Veterinary Medicine

Bookmark and Share

Veterinarian License by Reciprocity

These instructions apply if you already hold a current license in another state. If you do not hold a current license, refer to the instructions for original licensure.

Instructions for All Reciprocity Applicants

Submit all of the following:

  • Completed, signed, and notarized State of Delaware Board of Veterinary Medicine Application for Licensure/Examination.
  • Processing fee (non-refundable) by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."
  • National Board Examination (NBE) and Clinical Competency Test (CCT) scores or North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) scores, whichever applies, sent directly from Veterinary Information Verification Agency to the Board office, except in these situations:
    • If you were initially licensed before 1971, NBE scores are not required.
    • If you were initially licensed before 1980, CCT scores not required.
  • Letters of good standing from each state where you have ever been licensed.

To request a score transfer, see

If you received your veterinary education outside the U.S., see Educated Outside the U.S.A. below.

Educated Outside the U.S.A.

If you received your veterinary education at a foreign veterinary college that is not AVMA-accredited, you must submit a copy of the certificate issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) or by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, as applicable. This requirement is in addition to the requirements above.

Temporary Licenses and Permits

A temporary permit applies to nonresident veterinarians validly licensed in another state. The requirements are the same as those above. Submit the temporary permit fee by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."

A temporary license applies when the temporary permit does not apply. For a temporary license, you must also meet all of the above requirements. In addition, submit:

  • Temporary license fee by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."
  • Letter from a licensed Delaware veterinarian verifying that you will remain in the veterinarian's continuous employ and supervision and that he or she will monitor your professional activities and be fully responsible for you while you are under temporary licensure.

Under no circumstances should you begin practicing in Delaware before the temporary license or permit is issued.


When applying to reinstate a lapsed Delaware veterinary license, you do not have to re-submit documents already in possession of the Board office. However, you must submit:

For more information, refer to Section 9.2 of the Rules and Regulations.

Business License

Before beginning to practice in Delaware, contact the Delaware Division of Revenue to inquire about obtaining a business license if necessary.


Last Updated: Thursday, 09-Feb-2012 15:40:05 EST
site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |