Apply by reciprocity if you hold a current license in another state or jurisdiction. If you do not hold a current license in another state or jurisdiction, apply by examination.

Requirements for All Applicants

  • Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."
  • Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of licensure (letter of good standing) from each state or other jurisdiction in which you have ever held a license, sent directly from each jurisdiction to the Board office.
  • Enclose proof of general liability insurance of at least $300,000.

Additional Requirement for Applicants Licensed in States Not Substantially Similar

You must submit proof of experience if none of the states where you hold a current license has licensure standards “substantially similar” to Delaware's licensure standards. Use this table to decide whether to submit proof of experience.

IF you are currently licensed in one of these jurisdictions…

THEN the licensure standards (see Note below)

AND you…

Michigan, Wyoming

are substantially similar

do not need to submit any proof of experience.

Arkansas, Colorado, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia

are not substantially similar

must submit proof of experience for a minimum of five years after licensure:

  • For periods of employment, submit a Verification of Employment form describing your experience. If you cannot obtain the required form from the supervising licensed electrician, you may substitute tax W-2 forms showing full-time employment. Include a letter explaining why you cannot obtain the form.
  • For periods of self-employment, you may submit tax form Schedule C as proof of experience.

any state or other jurisdiction not listed above.

must be evaluated by the Board.

must submit a copy of the other state’s law and regulations for evaluation.

Note: The determination of substantial equivalence may change based, for example, on changes in the other jurisdiction’s statute.