Cosmetologist, Barber, Aesthetician, Nail Technician or Electrologist
When to File Application
Complete this application if you hold a current license as a Cosmetologist, Barber, Aesthetician, Nail Technician or Electrologist in another state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia and wish to apply for the same type of license in Delaware.
- If you do not hold a current license in another state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia, you must apply by examination.
- If you previously held a Delaware Cosmetologist, Barber, Aesthetician, Nail Technician or Electrologist license that has been lapsed over one year but less than four years, you must apply to reinstate that license.
If you hold a current Instructor license in another state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia and wish to apply for the same Instructor license in Delaware, you must hold a Delaware license in the field you wish to instruct before a Delaware Instructor license will be issued. If you do not already hold a Delaware license in your field, you must apply for it. If you submit both applications at the same time, the Instructor license, if approved, will be issued after the license in your field is issued.
Selecting the Method of Application
The application asks you to select whether you are applying by Method 1 or Method 2.
- Method 1 means that a jurisdiction where you hold a current license has licensure requirements that are substantially the same as those of Delaware.
- Method 2 means that none of the juridictions where you are currently licensed has licensure requirements that are substantially the same as Delaware’s requirements.
Both Methods require you to have passed a written and practical examination which was professionally developed and used on a national basis. Whether your application is Method 1 or 2 depends on whether any state where you are currently licensed requires a minimum 10th grade education (or equivalent) and whether it also requires at least the classroom or apprenticeship hours that Delaware requires. Delaware requires these hours:
- Cosmetologist or Barber - 1500 classroom/3000 apprenticeship hours
- Nail Technician - 300 classroom hours/600 apprenticeship hours
- Electrologist - 300 classroom hours/600 apprenticeship hours
- Aesthetician - 600 classroom hours/1200 apprenticeship hours
IF any state where you are currently licensed…
AND IF it also requires…
Requires a minimum 10th grade education
at least the hours that Delaware requires (see above)
less than the hours that Delaware requires (see above)
Does not require a minimum 10th grade education
If you don’t know how much education or how many hours any state where you’re currently licensed requires, check with the state’s licensing agency. See Directory at www.nictesting.org or the State Board Directory at www.pivot-point.com.
Requirements for All Applicants
Read these instructions carefully. Failing to follow instructions will delay processing of your application. All auxiliary forms you may need are included with the application form.
- Submit completed, signed, and notarized Application for License by Reciprocity . If you are applying for an Instructor license, you must also complete the Application for Instructor License by Reciprocity .
- Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to 'State of Delaware.'
- Enclose a copy of all current licenses held in other jurisdictions. At least one license in another jurisdiction must be current when the Board reviews your application.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive a license verification (also called letter of good standing) from
state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia where you now hold, or have ever held, a license.
- This requirement applies regardless of whether or not the license is current .
- The verification must be sent directly from the other jurisdiction to the Board office.
- Use the Verification of Licensure for Reciprocity Applications form at the end the application to request the verification from the other jurisdiction.
- If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), submit a Request for Exemption from Social Security Number Requirement .
Additional Requirement for Method 2 Applicants
The following requirement applies only if you are applying by Method 2.
- Submit a notarized statement from a present or prior employer(s) in the jurisdiction where you are licensed. The statement must certify that you worked in the field for which you are seeking a Delaware license for the five-year period immediately before you applied in Delaware .